According to the news on August 12, after the decision to cancel the tariff preference for some Cambodian products exported to Europe in February this year, the European Union announced that it would begin to implement this decision on the 12th, and levy tariffs on Cambodian clothing, shoes, travel goods and other products exported to Europe.
the European Commission announced on the same day that due to the EU’s “serious and systematic concern” about the human rights situation in Cambodia, Cambodia’s clothing, footwear, travel goods and other exported products to Europe will no longer enjoy tariff-free and quota free treatment, while the EU will continue to maintain contact with Cambodia on “necessary reform measures”.
according to the announcement, Cambodia’s products exported to Europe no longer enjoy tariff-free and quota free treatment account for about 20% of all products exported to Europe. In the future, Cambodia can continue to export these products to the EU, but the EU will impose tariffs according to the regulations, and the remaining 80% of Cambodia’s products exported to Europe will still enjoy tariff-free and quota free treatment.
as a less developed country, Cambodia is now a beneficiary of the “GSP” system of EU tariff preference system. According to the special arrangement of GSP, Cambodia enjoys special preferences, that is, its products exported to Europe enjoy tariff-free and quota free treatment except for weapons and ammunition. However, in February last year, the EU initiated a suspension of Cambodia’s exports to Europe on the grounds that Cambodia “seriously damages human rights and labor rights” In February this year, the EU officially decided to cancel the tariff preference of some Cambodian products exported to Europe.
after announcing the implementation of the decision on December 12, the European Commission also said in the announcement that the Cambodian government can take necessary measures to meet the conditions of the EU at any time, and the EU can resume tariff free and quota free treatment of Cambodia’s related products exported to Europe as appropriate. The announcement quoted European Commission trade commissioner Hogan as saying that the EU will continue to maintain contact with Cambodia and look forward to it We have seen significant improvements in human and labour rights in Cambodia.
according to EU statistics, at present, Cambodia’s exports to Europe are mainly textiles, shoes, semi-finished food, rice, bicycles and so on, with a total annual export value of about 5 billion euro. Since December 12, the total export value of clothing, shoes, travel goods and other products that no longer enjoy tariff preferences has a total export value of about 1 billion euro.
in January last year, the EU imposed a three-year tariff on Cambodian rice exported to Europe due to its determination that the surge in rice exported from Cambodia to Europe has harmed the interests of rice producers in the European Union. The tariff for the first year is 175 euro per ton, the second year is 150 euro per ton, and the third year is 125 euro per ton.