Today (August 18), China’s Ministry of Commerce announced that it would launch an anti-dumping investigation on wine from Australia for a period of one year, but it could also be extended to one and a half years.
in this regard, Australian officials have just given a reply on the matter, saying that they are “very disappointed” with China’s decision, but also said that they will actively participate in the investigation and appeal.
according to SBS news, Australian Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said in a response that China’s investigation into Australian wine was made in response to the application of China’s local wine industry.
However, he said that Australia was “very disappointed” and “confused” by China’s decision to make such an investigation. He said that Australia’s wine industry has become the world’s top export product by virtue of its own efforts. It is popular in China because of its good quality, it has not been sold in China at a price lower than the market price, and has not enjoyed subsidies from the Australian government when exporting.
according to ABC, China’s decision to launch an investigation into Australian wine has also caused a great shock in Australia, especially in the wine industry.
according to reports from Australia and Guangzhou, this is because China is the largest export market of Australian wine. The export value of last year was about a $1.25 billion, which is more than one third of the whole export market of Australian wine. Some people worry that this will bring a “catastrophic” impact on the Australian wine industry.
in addition, in the report of Australia and Guangzhou, some Australian analysts think that this may be China’s “political” revenge on Australia’s recent series of China related statements, but others think that this may be because China’s local wine industry is not so good under the new crown epidemic, so they will complain to Australia, although this practice is still very “unexpected” to the Australian side ”。